If for some reason you need to have proof of medical coverage, then this short read is for you! First things first, you should know what it is exactly that you’re trying to obtain. Of course all the information that you need can be found on your Medicaid, Medicare, or Chip insurance card. However, sometimes having your card alone is not enough to satisfy some debt collectors. So what you need to get from your medical service provider is called an Entitlement letter.

  • In order to obtain your Entitlement Letter, you must first call CMS Headquarters. Otherwise known as Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. This is seriously the easiest part of the whole process. Just call the Toll-Free number: (877) 267-2323. Once you are on the line, listen to the voice prompts. You need to press 1 for Medicare and Medicaid Coverage. Continue listening to the voice prompts. After, press 0 to speak with an agent. After doing this you will be asked to enter your Medicare or Medicaid ID number.
  • Once you’re on the phone with an agent, all you have to do is tell them that you would like to get an Entitlement Letter. The agent assisting you will ask for some information to verify identity. After everything is completed, your Entitlement Letter will be mailed to you. It could take up to 10 days for you to receive the letter.
Screen Shot Social Security Administration



How to obtain your Entitlement Letter from the VA

Obtaining your Entitlement Letter from the VA is very easy. The first thing you have to do is contact the VA Hospital you are assigned to, usually it is the closest one to your home address. After you get a hold of the hospital, you can ask to speak to your social worker. Your social worker is the person you need to request the Entitlement Letter from. Ask to make sure that the Letter includes your name and your VA benefits/Coverage dates.